Jun 22, 2008

You are the air I breathe... WHEN I CHOKE

I have been clearing out my things (for a certain purpose) and I found that I have a lot of junk that should be disposed and a LOT of clothes that I don't even wear. I just realised that we have loads of old clothes (some are very expensive but have never even been worn or maybe just a few times). And I found that I still kept my old things like figurines, commemorative items, stacks of posters, story books I used to collect and some that would embarrass me like my Disneyland autograph books filled with autographs of Disney characters such Mickey Mouse and friends that we took in Disneyland Paris and also by some 90's boybands such as Boyzone, Code Red (to my siblings: I'm sure you guys still remember the day we met them and how starstruck we were) and Malaysian celebrities that the world will never know. We were so lame! I also found what we called in those days "autograph" or "biodata" books where we get some friends to write down a whole page on themselves including favourite food, favourite brand, favourite groups, etc. LAME!

Apart from that, I found a book given to me by Kenny Jones (ex-Lit teacher) which was an autobiography of the great Freddie Mercury, vocalist of Queen. Get this, Freddie Mercury was of Persian descent and lived in India as a kid but soon after left India and established himself in England. There was a time when I was really into Queen. I read the book more than once and it gave me an insight into the life of Freddie Mercury who was misunderstood just because of his homosexuality. Bisexual to be exact because he also had sexual relations with a particular woman. I think it's downright stupid when people judge someone based on their sexuality. With musicians for example, people should not judge musicians based on their sexuality but based on their talent and achievements. Freddie Mercury is a hero to me. He is one of the greatest vocalists of all time and is extremely talented- he can nail those low and extremely high pitches and he can play the piano and guitar. His sexuality of course became the main topic in those days in the 80's and some people were appalled at him just because he is gay. It's stupid. Unfortunately he died in 1991 from AIDS. Nevertheless, he still remains a hero in many people's hearts. Rest in peace Freddie Mercury, you are deeply missed.


Freddie Mercury (1946-1991)

Another rock icon who is a homosexual is Rob Halford, vocalist of Judas Priest. Despite being gay, he has a vocal range of 3.75 octave which is amazing, he is definitely one of the best vocalists of all time alongside Freddie Mercury, Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden), Ronnie James Dio, Klaus Meine (Scorpions) and Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin), just to name a few. Rob Halford, it was noted, was the first and perhaps the only singer of a major heavy metal band to have outed his homosexuality. It took a lot of balls for Rob Halford to come out of the closet and he has my utmost respect for that. I know some people who were fans at first and turned the other cheek when they found out that the noted musician was gay. That is utterly s
tupid and I will emphasize again that musicians should not be judged based on their sexuality but on their talent. Therefore, I don't give a shit if Rob Halford and Freddie Mercury are gay. They are extremely talented and I totally respect them. The fact that they are gay does not make them bad vocalists or bad frontmen. Their homosexuality does not affect their greatness in singing. I am not for homosexuality but I am not homophobic either. I know many people who are appalled at homosexuality (some of those based on personal experience) but I think people should be open-minded and allow diversity (yes, even diversity in sexuality) which is inevitable in the 21st century. They need to alter their perceptions and narrow-minded approach to homosexuality. Those who are against homosexuality should just stay away from homosexuals rather than excessively criticizing them. I just felt the need to address this issue and touch on the topic of sexuality. I cannot tell you why but I just felt the need to.


Rob Halford of Judas Priest

Posing as queers is another thing. The whole emo scene again. It's disgusting. But I won't go into that again for now. I think you get the picture and I think I've explained enough in my previous posts. Oh and exam results for last semester is out. I am quite satisfied with my overall grade: B+. "Quite", not "very." I don't get it, why can't they give me an A for my overall grade? I got 4 As and 2 Bs, just like in my first semester but still, they gave me a B+ for my overall grade. For my whole 4 semesters, my overall grades have been B+ all the way, why can't I at least get an A for an overall grade? Was it because I didn't work hard enough? I don't think so, I remember clearly how I worked my ass off all the time. I am bitching about this because I am aiming for a first class degree (who isn't?) which is impossible :( I am not satisfied with getting Bs for Literature and Communication because I thought the exam was easy and I actually enjoyed the course. But I am very happy for finally getting A for Spanish! Hah I am now ready to proceed to Advanced Spanish :D ¡Qué vivo el español! ¡Me encantalo! Me encanta la playa, me encanta el sol hermoso y me encanta el calor. Hehe random. With that being said, it's time for me to go and learn one of the things I have always wanted to master. That shall remain a mystery to you my dear friends. Good night.

No comments: