Different languages are unique in their own ways. They are usually distinct from other languages although some languages share some commonality with some others. I have begun using more of Brunei Malay now than before but my English is still more fluent than my Malay because of the way I was raised. We spoke more English when we were growing up and less of Malay and it's not our fault. I don't have a single trace of Malay blood in me anyway so sue me. I am trying to be more fluent in Malay because it's better to be bilingual or multilingual. What I don't get is how some Malays in Brunei are trying so hard to forget their own native language and they are trying so hard to speak solely in English. Trying to speak English is not a bad thing, it's good that they are trying to improve their English but then again, they shouldn't totally abandon their native language and after some time pretend not to understand it. Anyway, I find that some Brunei Malay phrases are funny or even catchy in their own ways, especially when pronounced with a thick Bruneian Malay accent putting too much emphasis on the sounds. Don't get me wrong, I like the Malay language. I just think that sometimes it sounds funny when people are speaking sarcastically or emotionally. Here are some funny Malay phrases and sentences that I've heard or have remembered listening to (it's not supposed to be insulting or offensive ok? This is just for fun so forgive me if you feel offended):
1. Adang tah bemain ani, esuk-esuknya lagi.
(An elderly telling us to stop playing football in the house at night because we were making too much noise)
2. Nini ani yang banarnya masa time muda, HENSEM!
(A "prasan" grandfather reminiscing his younger days. Nostalgic much?)
3. Kan bali bunga lai?
Reply: Apa kan ni? Adakah patut malam-malam kan bebisnis!
(From a Brunei show called Catatan Misteri. Can't believe we used to watch that show just to laugh)
4. Eh ko tau, si atu bah anak si atu...
(One of the many ways to start a gossip or conversation)
5. Mun gagas agatah trabang!
(Translation: If you're really in a hurry, why don't you just go fly then?)- I still don't get it, it doesn't make any sense
6. Baie kali, sial mati babun.
(Swearing in Brunei Malay, among the many)
7. Awu, dapat kali ah, buliiiihh??
(A phrase that was once in trend)
8. Mun paham bisai.
(Translation: If you understand, it'd be better for us all)
9. Walaupun urang atu lawa tapi kalau nada akal, KINSIL!
(Advice on finding the right "jodoh")
10. Membari watir jua ko anih.
(Translation: You're being so paranoid)
11. Membari ijap iiiiihhh!!
(Translation: (hmm...how do I translate this in English....) That's so scary!!)
12. Sayang abang lai...
(Mihir eh!! Gali ku mendangar! A guy sweet-talking his girlfriend/wife/lover/scandal/fling. YUCK!)
Bah. Terima kasih untuk membaca post ani. Agatah tidur.
-small-003.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment